Pellicer Moscardó, Jaume
Research Leader, Character Evolution (currently ‘Beatriu de Pinós’ Postdoctoral fellow)
Catalan (mother tongue), Spanish, French
- BSc, University of Valencia, 2004
- MSc, University of Barcelona, 2006
- PhD, University of Barcelona, 2009 (PhD prize for the best thesis in plant sciences 2009-10, Faculty of Pharmacy)
I am a Research Leader within the Character Evolution team. My main scientific interest is to understand the evolutionary mechanisms governing plant genome size diversification and its significance in a changing environment.
My research takes advantage of the extensive gardens collections and overseas field expeditions, and integrates both laboratory work and applied bioinformatics in the following areas:
- Model-based analyses to study genome size and chromosome evolution (including physical DNA organisation) across several land plant groups.
- Genomic approaches to comprehensively explore plant giant genomes using next generation sequencing technologies.
- Large-scale genome dynamics in the course of plant radiations, with a particular focus on island colonisations.
Schneider, H., Liu, H., Clark, J., Hidalgo, O., Pellicer, J., Zhang, S., Kelly, L.J., Fay, M.F. & Leitch, I.J. (2015) Are the genomes of royal ferns really frozen in time? Evidence for coinciding genome stability and limited evolvability in the royal ferns. New Phytologist (in press), DOI: 10.1111/nph.13330.
Pellicer, J., Kelly, L.J., Leitch, I.J. Zomlefer,W.B. & Fay, M.F. (2014) A universe of dwarfs and giants: genome size and chromosome evolution in the monocot family Melanthiaceae. New Phytologist 201: 1484-1497.
Vitales, D., Garnatje, T., Pellicer, J., Vallès, J., Santos-Guerra, A. & Sanmartín, I. (2014) The explosive radiation of Cheirolophus (Asteraceae, Cardueae) in Macaronesia. BMC Evolutionary Biology 14: 118.
Pellicer, J., Hidalgo, O., Garnatje, T., Kondo, K. & Vallès, J. (2014) Life cycle versus systematic placement: phylogenetic and cytogenetic studies in annual Artemisia (Asteraceae, Anthemideae). Turkish Journal of Botany 38: 1112-1122.
Pellicer, J., Kelly, L., Magdalena, C. & Leitch, I.J. (2013) Insights into the dynamics of genome size and chromosome evolution in the early diverging angiosperm lineage Nymphaeales (water lilies). Genome 56: 437-449.