Moat, Justin F.
Research Leader, Spatial Analysis
- BSc, University College London, 1992
- MSc, University College London, 1996
My role is to develop and manage spatial analysis research and support at RBG Kew, presenting data and producing tools for conservation and environmental monitoring. I provide a GIS interface for conservation, taxonomy, systematics and phytogeography,
Special interests are in:
- Vegetation mapping (core research areas Madagascar, Africa and South East Asia) and area conservation assessments, using remote sensing and GIS techniques to give up-to-date and accurate vegetation mapping and vegetation change (temporally).
- Conservation assessments. Using herbarium specimens and GIS techniques (see GeoCAT) we can easily and quickly produce quantifiable, preliminary conservation assessment, for use in global assessments (see SRLI), taxon treatment, area assessments and towards full conservation assessments.
- Webmapping. Using the internet we can move much GIS functionally into browsers allowing simple GIS to be preformed and complex maps to be presented.
- Spatial analysis for species and climate modelling to pinpoint those habitats and plants that need attention most urgently.
Davis, A.P., Gole, T.W., Baena, S. & Moat, J. (2012). The impact of climate change on indigenous Arabica coffee (Coffea arabica): predicting future trends and identifying priorities. PLOS ONE 7: e47981. Available online
Keith, D.A., Rodríguez, J.P., Rodríguez-Clark, K.M., Nicholson, E., Aapala, K., Alonso, A., Asmussen, M., Bachman, S., Bassett, A., Barrow, E.G., Benson, J.S., Bishop, M.J., Bonifacio, R., Brooks, T.M., Burgman, M.A., Comer, P., Comín, F.A., Essl, F., Faber-Langendoen, D., Fairweather, P.G., Holdaway, R.J., Jennings, M., Kingsford, R.T., Lester, R.E., Mac Nally, R., McCarthy, M.A., Moat, J., Oliveira-Miranda, M.A., Pisanu, P., Poulin, B., Regan, T.J., Riecken, U., Spalding, M.D. & Zambrano-Martínez, S. (2013). Scientific foundations for an IUCN Red List of Ecosystems. PLoS ONE, 8(5): e62111 Available online
Bachman, S., Moat, J., Hill, A., de la Torre, J. & Scott, B. (2011). Supporting Red List threat assessments with GeoCAT: Geospatial Conservation Assessment Tool. Zookeys 150:117-126. Available online
Moat, J. & Smith, P (2007). Atlas of the Vegetation of Madagascar. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. London, UK.
Willis, F., Moat, J. & Paton, A. (2003). Defining a role for herbarium data in Red List assessments: a case study of Plectranthus from eastern and southern tropical. Biodiversity and Conservation 12: 1537-1552 Available online