Liu, Udayangani (née Fernando, P. U.)
Seed Bank Data Resources Manager
Sinhalese (native); basic Tamil
- PhD Behaviour Ecology, Univ. of Aberdeen, 2002
- MSc & PG Dip. Management of Natural Resources & Sustainable Agriculture, Agricultural Univ. of Norway, 1998
- BSc (Hons) Zoology, Univ. of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 1991
- Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD) Fellowship 1996–1998
- Commonwealth Scholarship, UK 1999–2002
- Visiting Lecturer, Eastern University, Sri Lanka, 1991
- Lecturer, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 1991–1992
- Lecturer, University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka, 1992–2002
- Member of Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS)
My role as Seed Bank Data Resources Manager involves managing the in-house Millennium Seed Bank Database (SBD, for collections) and online Seed Information Database (SID, for seed functional trait data). I play key roles in database integration, including with MSB Data Warehouse, MSB Taxon Database and Kew Names Backbone and on-going prioritisation of collection acquisition and management to develop novel decision support methods. I coordinate scientific enquiries, especially those seeking data, including managing the relationship with the TRY data consortium, and producing performance statistics to monitor progress for conserving the ‘25% of species’ target. I am also responsible for developing and supporting income-generating activities, including consultancies and grant applications, for carrying out collaborative projects with colleagues in partner institutions, and research groups, for carrying out training and teaching activities, science in garden activities, public engagement activities and contributing to science communication in the Garden.
Goss-Custard et al., ~ Udayangani-Fernando, P.U. (2006). Intake rates and the functional response in shorebirds Charadriiformes eating macro-invertebrates. Biological Reviews, 81: 501-529.
Fernando, P. U. U. (2004). The impact of macroalgal mats on the feeding distribution and feeding behaviour of mussel-feeding birds on the Ythan estuary, Aberdeenshire. Wader Study Group Bulletin, 104: 19–20.
Fernando, P. U. U. & Liu, K. (2004). Correcting the individual biases made in collecting mussel shells opened by oystercatchers ‘ex-situ’. Wader Study Group Bulletin, 104: 56–59.
Fernando, P. U. U. (2002). The impact of macroalgal mats on the feeding distribution and feeding behaviour of mussel-feeding birds on the Ythan estuary, Aberdeenshire. PhD Thesis, University of Aberdeen, UK.
Fernando, P. U. U. & Amarasingha De. S. N. J. (2002). Species abundance distributions of bird communities in four agroecosystems. Tropical Agricultural Research & Extension, 5(1 & 2).