Seed Bank Database Manager
Sinhala (mother tongue)
- PhD Behaviour Ecology, Univ. of Aberdeen, 2002
- MSc & PG Dip. Management of Natural Resources & Sustainable Agriculture, Agricultural Univ. of Norway, 1998
- BSc (Hons) Zoology, Univ. of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 1991
- Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD) Fellowship 1996 – 1998
- Commonwealth Scholarship, UK 1999 – 2002
- Visiting Lecture, Eastern University, Sri Lanka, 1991
- Lecturer, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 1991 – 1992
- Lecturer, University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka, 1992 – 2002
- Member of Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS)
I manage and administrate the Seed Bank Database (SBD) which holds a wide range of field, processing, germination and storage data of seed collections stored at the Millennium Seed Bank. My activities include maintaining high data standards of SBD through liaison with international co-ordinators and overseas partners, liaising with Information Systems Development team regarding enhancement to the SBD and associated database applications, updating SBD user manual and standard operating procedures for data entry, extracting and analysing seed intake, processing and germination data and providing statistics to the Seed Conservation Department, supervising the data exchange project, setting up and maintaining access restrictions to seed collections laid out in Material Acquisition Agreements, repatriating data to overseas partners, providing data and statistics to external institutes, advising overseas partners on seed bank databasing, and training staff, visitors and students on the use of SBD and associated applications. I also manage the Kew’s Restoration Ecology Database.
Goss-Custard et al., ~ Udayangani-Fernando, P.U. (2006). Intake rates and the functional response in shorebirds Charadriiformes eating macro-invertebrates. Biological Reviews, 81: 501-529.
Fernando, P. U. U. (2004). The impact of macroalgal mats on the feeding distribution and feeding behaviour of mussel-feeding birds on the Ythan estuary, Aberdeenshire. Wader Study Group Bulletin, 104: 19 – 20.
Fernando, P. U. U. & Liu, K. (2004). Correcting the individual biases made in collecting mussel shells opened by oystercatchers ‘ex-situ’. Wader Study Group Bulletin, 104: 56 – 59.
Fernando, P. U. U. (2002). The impact of macroalgal mats on the feeding distribution and feeding behaviour of mussel-feeding birds on the Ythan estuary, Aberdeenshire. PhD Thesis, University of Aberdeen, UK.
Fernando, P. U. U. & Amarasingha De. S. N. J. (2002). Species abundance distributions of bird communities in four agroecosystems. Tropical Agricultural Research & Extension, 5(1 & 2).