Hind, D.J. Nicholas
Research Leader, Identification & Naming (Americas)
Portuguese; French (working); Spanish (working)
- BSc (Hons), Botany, Univ. Reading, 1978
- PhD, Univ. Reading, 1989
- Member of the Collections Committee, Linnean Society of London (ongoing)
- Associate Editor, Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society (ongoing)
- Editorial Committee, Curtis's Botanical Magazine (ongoing)
- Member of the 'Corpo Editorial', Sitientibus, Série Ciências Biológicas (ongoing)
- Member of the 'Conselho Editorial', Rodriguésia – Journal of the Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro (ongoing)
- Member of the Advisory Board, Turkish Journal of Botany (ongoing)
- Chair, General & Scientific Committees, Margaret Mee Fellowship Programme (ongoing)
- Secretary, Linnean Club
I have a specialist research interest in New World Compositae (especially Bolivia and Brazil), having taken part in several fieldtrips, described many new taxa, and written for a few Brazilian floristic accounts. I am constantly updating my on-line Preliminary annotated checklist of the Compositae of Bolivia and have also contributed several accounts to Neotropikey and edited several submissions. I also have an overview of the World’s Compositae and have contributed to several Old World floras and am currently completing the Compositae for Flora Zambesiaca. I am also editing the first draft for the Compositae volume for the Flora of Iraq. I have a keen historical interest in the collections and in the Herbarium. I regularly write for Curtis's Botanical Magazine, referee for several international journals. I manage a small team of curatorial staff.
Fagg, C. W, Lughadha, E. N., Milliken, W., & Hind, D. J. N. (2014). Useful Brazilian plants listed in the manuscripts and publications of the Scottish medic and naturalist George Gardner (1810-1849). Journal of Ethnopharmacology 161: 18–29.
Hind, D. J. N. (2014). A synopsis of the African genus Lipotriche (Compositae: Heliantheae: Ecliptinae). Kew Bulletin 69(3): 1–13. [DOI: 10.1007/s12225-014-9528-7]
Hind, D. J. N. & Frisby, S. (e- April 2014). Mikania manomoi (Compositae: Eupatorieae: Mikaniinae), a new, but epappose, species from the Cerro Manomó, Santa Cruz, Eastern Bolivia. Kew Bulletin 69(2): 1–7. [DOI: 10.1007/s12225-014-9502-4]
Hind, D. J. N. (e- June 2013; print Sept.). The identity of Cosmos herzogii (Compositae: Heliantheae: Coreopsidinae) from Santa Cruz, Eastern Bolivia. Kew Bulletin 68(3): 1–6. [DOI:10.1007/S12225-013-9462-0]
Hind, D. J. N. (2011). An annotated preliminary checklist of the Compositae of Bolivia.Version 2 [See www.kew.org/science/tropamerica/boliviacompositae for the web version and www.kew.org/science/tropamerica/boliviacompositae/checklist.pdf for the PDF file of the checklist] c. 750 pp.