Honorary Research Fellow
Indonesian, French, German
- BA, Univ. Cambridge, 1967
- MA, Univ. Cambridge, 1970
- PhD, Univ. Cambridge, 1970.
- Board of directors, International Palm Society
- Co-Editor of Principes/PALMS
- Council, Botanical Society of the British Isles (1976 - 1980)
- Committee, SE Asian rain-forest research, Royal Society (1984 - 89)
- Editorial board, Flora of Thailand 1985 - 2001
- Editorial board, Kew Bulletin (1984 - 2000)
- Research Associate, National Tropical Botanical Garden, Kauai
- Hon. Member, Montgomery Botanical Center
- Research Associate, Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden.
Phylogeny and monography of palms; floristics of SE Asia and Madagascar.
Research focusing on evolution and diversity in the palm family. Addressing phylogenetic relationships of palms at all taxonomic levels using a range of data sources. Continuing to assess generic delimitation and relationships in palms after the publication of the benchmark family monograph, Genera Palmarum Ed. 2. Exploring the nature and origins of global patterns of palm diversity. Floristic interests in the Old World, especially SE Asia and Madagascar. Working towards a monograph of palms in New Guinea, a collaborative project integrating taxonomic research and capacity-building. Developing new approaches to the delivery of taxonomic data via the web.
Dransfield, J., Uhl, N.W, Asmussen, C.B., Baker, W.J., Harley, M.M., & Lewis, C.E. (2008). Genera Palmarum. The Evolution and Classification of Palms. Kew Publishing. pp732.
Dransfield, J., Rakotoarinivo, M., Baker, W.J., Bayton, R.P., Fisher, J.B., Horn, J.W., Leroy, B. & Metz, X. (2008). A new Coryphoid palm genus from Madagascar. Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 156: 79–91.
Dransfield, J., Beentje, H., Britt, A, Ranarivelo, T. & Razafitsalama, J. (2006). Field Guide to the Palms of Madagascar. Kew Publishing. pp172. (Published in two editions – English and Malagasy)
Baker, W.J. & Dransfield, J. (2006). Field Guide to the palms of New Guinea. Kew Publishing. pp108. (Published in two editions – English and Indonesian)
Govaerts, R & Dransfield, J. (2006). World Checklist of Palms. Kew Publishing. pp 223.