Dauncey, Elizabeth A. (Liz)
Business Development Officer, Medicinal Plant Names Services
2012, Associate Staff 1992-2012
- BSc (Hons), Botany, University of Durham, 1988
- PhD, Plant Taxonomy, University of Reading, 1994
- Fellow of the Linnean Society of London
- Analytical Toxicology MSc, King's College, London, guest lecturer since 2010
- Finalist, Reference Book of the Year, 2010, Garden Media Guild, for the book 'Poisonous Plants: a guide for parents & childcare providers'
- Nominated, Technical category, 2011, The Council on Botanical and Horticultural Libraries Annual Awards, for the book 'Poisonous Plants: a guide for parents & childcare providers'
- Winner, 1994 British Computer Society Information Technology Award for 'Poisonous Plants in Britain and Ireland: an interactive identification system on CD-ROM'
As Content Officer for the Medicinal Plant Names Services, I edit the web pages, add content (principally Latin pharmaceutical, drug, common and trade names) to the resource, and co-ordinate responses to commercial enquiries.
From 1992 to 2011, I worked as a Botanist for the Medical Toxicology Information Services ('Guy's Poisons Unit'), Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Hospital Trust, on joint activities with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. As a specialist in poisonous plants, I undertook various initiatives with the aim of improving the treatment of plant poisoning cases in hospitals, and reducing the number of plant poisonings by raising public awareness.
For my PhD in plant taxonomy, I revised Dendrobium section Pedilonum, a group of 42 species of orchids from S.E. Asia.
Kite, G.C., Rowe, E.R., Veitch, N.C., Turner, J.E. & Dauncey, E.A. (2013). Generic detection of basic taxoids in wood of European Yew (Taxus baccata) by liquid chromatography-ion trap mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography B 915-916: 21-27.
Pennington, N. De, Colles, C. & Dauncey, E. (2011). Australian stringhalt in the UK. [Letter]. Veterinary Record 169(18): 476.
Dauncey, E.A., with toxicity by Kennedy, K. and Hawkins, L. (2010). Poisonous Plants: A guide for parents and childcare providers. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and Guy's & Thomas' Hospital Trust, London.
Cooper, M.R., Johnson, A.W. and Dauncey, E.A. (2003). Poisonous Plants and Fungi: An illustrated guide, Ed. 2. TSO, London.
Dauncey, E.A. (2003). A taxonomic revision of Dendrobium section Pedilonum (Orchidaceae). Harvard Papers in Botany 7(2): 151-320.