Cribb, Phillip J.
Honorary Research Fellow
- BA, University of Cambridge, 1968
- MA, University of Cambridge, 1968
- PhD, University of Birmingham, 1972
- Associate scientific editor, Orchid Review, Die Orchidee, Indian Orchid Journal and Acta Phytotaxonomica Sinica
- Co-editor and founder, Orchid Research Newsletter
- Co-editor and founder, Orchid Conservation News
- Co-organiser of Evolution of the Monocotyledons Conference, Kew 1993
- Chair, Conference Committee for 14th World Orchid Conference, Glasgow, 1993
- President/co-founder, Spelthorne Natural History Society
- Lecturer, Extramural Dept, Univ. London (1979) and Univ. Surrey (1980)
- Trustee, Gilbert White Museum, Selborne
- Trustee, Barbara Everard Trust for Orchid Conservation (2004)
- Chair, Kew's Conservation Coordinating Committee (1998)
- Kew rep., UK Systematics Forum (2001)
- Lecturer, International Conservation & Biodiversity Course, Beijing (1995)
- Chair, IUCN-SSC Orchid Specialist Group
- Trustee, Orchid Conservation International
Systematics and conservation of orchids
The principal focus over the past 32 years has been the systematics of Old World orchids, particularly from tropical Africa and Asia. Monographic work has concentrated on genera of importance to horticulture and conservation (eg Paphiopedilum, Cypripedium, Pleione, Cymbidium, Dendrobium) and the classification of the family as a whole through the 'Genera Orchidacearum' project. '
The 'World Checklist of Orchids' is now on the web. Floristic work on tropical Africa has been completed; China and Madagascar are current foci with the English edition of 'Flora of China' Orchidaceae and a 'Field Guide to Madagascan orchids' in preparation.
Orchid conservation has played an increasing significance in the work both in the UK through starting, establishing long-term funding and co-managing the Sainsbury Orchid Project, and internationally through chairing the IUCN/SSC Orchid Specialist Group.
Averyanov, L., Cribb, P.J. & Hiep, N.T. (2003). Slipper Orchids of Vietnam. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. [also in Vietnamese published by Birdlife Int., Hanoi]
Dixon, K., Kell, S., Bartlett, R. & Cribb, P.J. (eds) (2003). Orchid Conservation. Natural History Publications, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
Gravendeel, B., Eurlings, M.C.M., van den Berg, C. & Cribb, P.J. (2004). Phylogeny of Pleione (Orchidaceae) and Parentage Analysis of its wild Hybrids on Plastid and Nuclear Ribosomal ITS Sequences and Morphological Data. Systematic Botany 29 (1): 50-63.
Pearce, N. & Cribb, P.J. (2002). Orchids of Bhutan. In Long D. & Noltie H. (eds) Flora of Bhutan 3. Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh.
Pridgeon, A., Cribb, P.J., Chase, M.A. & Rasmussen, F. (2001, 2003, 2005). Genera Orchidacearum. vols. II, III, IV. Cambridge University Press.
Van den Berg, C., Ryan, A., Cribb, P.J. & Chase, M.A. (2002). Molecular phylogentics of Cymbidium (Orchidaceae: Maxillarieae): sequence data from internal transcribed spacers (ITS) of nuclear ribosomal DNA and plastid matK. Lindleyana 17 (2): 102-111.