Ashton, Peter S.
Honorary Research Associate
Malay, Iban, French (spoken only)
- BA Univ. Cambridge, 1956
- MA, Univ. Cambridge, 1960
- PhD, Cambridge University, 1962
- Hon. MA, Harvard University, 1979
- Hon. DSc, Univ. Peradeniya, 2002
- Trustee, Massachusetts Horticultural Society (1980-86)
- Corporation Member, Boston Museum of Science (1980-86)
- Trustee, New England Wildflower Society (1983-86)
- Board, Coolidge Center for Environmental Leadership (Trustee 1983-94, Chair 1983-85)
- Trustee, Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Mass. (1987-2001)
- President, Int. Assoc. of Botanic Gardens & Arboreta (1987-93)
- Trustee, Fauna and Flora Preservation Society, USA (1987-89)
- Founding President, Center for Plant Conservation, Inc. (1988-93)
- Board of Governors, U.S. Nature Conservancy (1989-96)
- Advisory Board, Center for Tropical Forest Science, Smithsonian Trop. Res. Inst.
- Tropics Committee, Royal Society of London.
Evolutionary biology and ecology of rainforest trees and their communities; conservation biology; the history of the tree in art.
Monographic, field and evolutionary studies of Dipterocarpaceae, the species-rich family that dominates the canopy of lowland forests in Asia; ecology of tree communities and forests of the Asian tropics; origin and maintenance of tree species diversity. Current projects include a revision of Myrtaceae for the ‘Tree Flora of Sabah and Sarawak' (submitted) and a book on the forests of tropical Asia, in part to set the context for the design of the STRI/CTFS network of 10 long term forest research sites, and collaborations, throughout tropical Asia.
Ashton, P.S. (2005). Dipterocarpaceae. In Soepadmo, E., Saw, L.G. & Chung, R.C.K. (eds) Tree Flora of Sabah and Sarawak. Malaysia: FRIM. 63-388, 485-486, 495-498.
Ashton, P.S. & Appanah, S. (2004). Revision of C.F. Symington's Forester’s Manual of Dipterocarps. Malaysia: Malayan Nature Society and Forest Research Institute.
Ashton, P.S., Kamariah, A.S. & Said, I.M. (2003). A Field guide to the Forest Trees of Brunei Darussalam. Darussalam: Universiti Brunei. Pp 281.
Potts, M.D., Ashton, P.S., Kaufman, L.S., & Plotkin, J.B. (2002). Habitat patterns in tropical rain forests: a comparison of 105 plots in northwest Borneo. Ecology 83(10): 2782–2797.
Ashton, P.S. (2002). Dipterocarpaceae. In Kubitzki, K. (ed) The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants, IV. Flowering Plants. Dicotyledons: Malvales, Capparales and Non-betalain Caryophyllales. Berlin: Springer Verlag. 182-197.