Consultant Horticultural Taxonomist
- Woody Plant Committee, Royal Horticultural Society (RHS)
- Science and Education Committee, International Dendrology Society
- Plant Conservation Comm., Nat. Council Conservation of Plants & Gardens
- Advisory Panel on Nomenclature and Taxonomy, RHS
- Kew Guild Award Scheme Committee
- Taxonomic advisor, Holly Society of America
Taxonomy of both wild and cultivated plants, their history and utilisation.
Long term taxonomic research into Ilex (Aquifoliaceae) of SE Asia and Ilex in cultivation. Also Aquifoliaceae for Kubitzki's Families and Genera of Vasc. Pl. in collaboration with colleagues in the Jodrell Laboratory and at Geneva. During 2001-2005, work focused on Lavandula, resulting in 'The Genus Lavandula', co-authored with Tim Upson (Univ. Cambridge) and published in May 2004. Research on Lavandula has continued, including visits to Provence, France, Australia and New Zealand in 2005.
Upson, T.M. & Andrews, S. (2004). The Genus Lavandula. A Botanical Magazine Monograph. Kew: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Pp 442.
Andrews, S. (2002). Aquifoliaceae. In Soepadamo, E., Saw, L.G. & Chung, R.C.K. (eds) The Tree Flora of Sabah & Sarawak 4: 1-27.
Li, J., Dosmann, M., Del Tredici, P. & Andrews, S. (2002). Systematic relationship of weeping katsura based on nuclear ribosomal DNA sequences. HortScience 37(3): 595-598.
Andrews, S. (2001). 9. Corchorus. In Beentje, H.J. & Smith, S.A.L. (eds) Flora of Tropical East Africa: Tiliaceae & Muntingiaceae. Rotterdam: A.A. Balkema. 101-103.
Andrews, S. (2001). Tree of the Year: Nyssa. International Dendrology Society Yearbook 2000: 120-158.