Deputy Lab. Manager / Technology Specialist, Millennium Seed Bank
- Maintain high standards of laboratory operating procedures through technical support within the Millennium Seed Bank.
- Design and execute experiments aimed at improving seed conservation techniques with a particular emphasis on UK-based studies that enhance the quality of collections entering the MSB
- Acting as deputy to the Laboratory Manager, maintain an effective, safe and sustainable laboratory environment for the Seed Conservation Department by overseeing operational procedures, maintenance and calibration WTMB control systems (including Fire & Security).
- Provision of advice and training to Seed Conservation Department staff and international visitors on aspects of seed technology, especially moisture measurement and drying.
- Assist in the delivery of formal training courses.
- Conduct applied research to improve seed conservation techniques including the development of post-harvest handling techniques that maximise the value of seed conservation collections.
- Research and development of cost-effective, low-technology solutions for seed-processing, drying and storage for the Millennium Seed Bank Partnership’s developing-country partners.
Adams, J. (2003). Non destructive measurement of seed moisture. In: Seed Conservation: Turning Science into Practice, ed. Smith, R. D., Dickie, J. B., Linington, S. H., Pritchard, H. W. & Probert, R. J. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Adams, J. (2003). Selecting seed containers for the Millennium Seedbank. In: Seed Conservation: Turning Science into Practice, ed. Smith, R. D., Dickie, J. B., Linington, S. H., Pritchard, H. W. & Probert, R. J. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Technical Information Sheets: 'Post Harvest Handling'.
Technical Information Sheets: 'Seed Moisture Measurements'.
Technical Information Sheets: 'Low Technology Seed Drying Techniques'.