Oryza sativa (Image: S. Wood, RBG Kew)
This species has Orthodox seeds - dry to 15-20% eRH and store at -20ºC, or as cool as possible.
The seeds are relatively Short-lived. Monitor viability at least every five years, and more frequently once viability begins to decline. When viability falls close to the regeneration standard, the collection will need to be re-generated or re-collected.
Germinate on agar, germination paper (top of paper or between paper) or sand at a constant temperature of 25ºC, or use an alternating temperature regime of 30/20ºC. An alternative germination method is to use a flood test: sow the seed in moist sand and add water to a depth of ¼ inch above the sand level on the seventh day of the test.
The seeds of some sub-species may be Physiologically Dormant. If germination is low, use a moist pre-heat treatment (e.g. 50ºC), before germinating the seeds at their optimum temperature.
See more images of this species at the Digital Atlas of Economic Plants.
Oryza sativa section
(Image: S. Wood, RBG Kew)
Accepted name: Oryza sativa L.
Common name: rice
References and Links
- Association of Official Seed Analysts (2010). Volume 1: Principles and Procedures. Rules for Testing Seeds. AOSA Inc., Ithaca, USA.
- Baskin, C.C. and Baskin J.M. (1998). Seeds: ecology, biogeography, and evolution of dormancy and germination. Academic Press, USA.
- Ellis, R.H. and Hong, T.D. (2007). Quantitative response of the longevity of seed of twelve crops to temperature and moisture in hermetic storage. Seed Science and Technology, Vol 35 (2): pp432-444.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and International Plant Genetic Resources Institute (1994). Genebank Standards. FAO/IPGRI, Rome, Italy.
- International Seed Testing Association (2010). International Rules for Seed Testing: edition 2010. ISTA, Bassersdorf, Switzerland.
- Rao, N.K., Hanson, J., Dulloo, M.E., Ghosh, K., Nowell, D. and Larinde, M. (2006). Manual of seed handling in genebanks. Handbooks for Genebanks No. 8. Bioversity International, Rome, Italy.
- Walters, C., Wheeler, L.M., Grotenhuis, J.M. (2005). Longevity of seeds stored in a genebank: species characteristics. Seed Science Research, Vol 15 (1): pp1-20.
- AFPD (African Flowering Plants Database) - Conservatoire et Jardin Botaniques de la Ville de Genève, Switzerland, and South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria, RSA: Oryza sativa.
- PROTAbase (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa) - Wageningen, Netherlands: Oryza sativa.
- SID (Seed Information Database) - Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK: Oryza sativa.
- Tropicos - Missouri Botanical Garden, USA: Oryza sativa.
- Kew species profile: Oryza sativa