Barleria acanthoides (Image: S. Wood, RBG Kew)
This species has Orthodox seeds - dry to 15-20% eRH and store at -20ºC, or as cool as possible.
Germinate on agar, germination paper or sand at 25ºC.
The seeds of this species may have Physiological Dormancy (based on other members in the same family). If germination is low, overcome this type of dormancy by mimicking the seasonal patterns of the species' native habitat. Use a moist pre-chill or pre-heat treatment (depending on local climatic conditions) or a dry after-ripening treatment, before germinating the seeds on agar, germination paper or sand at their optimum temperature. If this does not work, you can perform delicate surgery to enable the embryo to grow. Excise the tissue near the root tip.
(Image: S. Wood, RBG Kew)
Accepted name: Barleria acanthoides Vahl.
Synonyms: Barleriacanthus acanthoides Oerst., Wahabia longiflora Fenzl ex Solms.
References and Links
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and International Plant Genetic Resources Institute (1994). Genebank Standards. FAO/IPGRI, Rome, Italy.
- AFPD (African Flowering Plants Database) - Conservatoire et Jardin Botaniques de la Ville de Genève, Switzerland, and South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria, RSA: Barleria acanthoides.
- PROTAbase (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa) - Wageningen, Netherlands: Barleria acanthoides.
- SID (Seed Information Database) - Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK: Barleria acanthoides.
- Tropicos - Missouri Botanical Garden, USA: Barleria acanthoides.