Turner’s Oak, Quercus x turneri
This semi-deciduous oak was raised in a nursery of Mr Turner in Essex in 1783, as a cross between Q. robur and Q. ilex. It was planted in the original 5-acre arboretum in 1798, where it stands today by the Princess of Wales Conservatory. Amazingly it was not properly named until 1880.
In the great hurricane, on 16 October 1987, the whole root plate lifted and settled back in the ground. This appeared to rejuvenate it, as it was showing signs of stress and decline due to compaction of the root plate from the many people who take shelter under the broad evergreen crown.
This was one of the factors that initiated the present day proactive decompaction programme for mature trees in the arboretum.
Find out more
Search Kew's electronic Plant Information Centre for scientific information about