"The Old Lions"
“The Old Lions” are some of the few remaining trees with the oldest actual known planting date of 1762. They comprise: Ginkgo biloba (Maidenhair Tree), Sophora japonica (Pagoda Tree), and Platanus orientalis (Oriental Plane) to the West of the Princess of Wales Conservatory; Robinia pseudoacacia (False Acacia) on the lawn to the front of the Orangery; and the Zelkova carpinifolia situated in the Herbarium paddock.
Some of these trees were brought from a neighbouring estate at Whitton which belonged to the Duke of Argyll (the uncle of Lord Bute the botanical advisor to Princess Augusta). They became part of a new 5 acre arboretum, laid out by William Aiton, which sat next to the Orangery.
The Old Lions
Find out more