Corsican Pine, Pinus nigra subsp. laricio
The large Corsican pine near the Main Gate was brought back as a six inch seedling from the South of France in 1814 by R. A. Salisbury, a botanist at Kew, and was planted a few years later. It now represents the site of the first Pinetum at Kew in the systematically laid out plantings following the Linnaean system. It is thought to have been the oldest specimen in the country. In the early 20th century, a light aircraft crashed into the upper crown of the tree taking out the top. Since then it has been struck by lightning on at least two occasions, the latest in 1992 with only the scars on the main trunk as a reminder.
Find out more
Search Kew's electronic Plant Information Centre for scientific information about Pinus nigra