The Plant Cultures website is being built to be as accessible to as wide an audience as possible.
Help with listening to audio files is given on the downloads page.
If there are any parts of the website that are difficult to use, please contact us. Suggestions for improvements and additional features are also welcome.
All text size on the site is adjustable. Please look under the View command on your web browser for options such as Text Size or Zoom.
The website is fully compatible with the following operating systems and browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 and 6.0
- Netscape 4.78 and 6.0
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5
- Netscape 4.72 and 6.0
The site is being built to conform to those parts of the WAI standard chosen by the RNIB See It Right standard, but has not yet been audited. Full testing for accessibility is ongoing, funded by Culture Online and in collaboration with City University.
Key features of site design include:
- Use of meaningful terms for links (not Click here).
- Use of headers to subdivide text.
- Cascading style sheets, rather than tables, to mark up the content.
- No pop-ups, except for full-size images in the Picture Library, and for Help links on some forms.
- A link to skip navigation. You can use this link to skip the navigation and jump straight to the content on any page in the site.
- All audio and video material on the site has been transcribed so it can also be read.
All images on the website should have meaningful ALT tags. Where the image already has a caption, the ALT tag is used to give a more descriptive account of the picture. Work on this is ongoing.