History and design
Nesfield's design for the east side (the Palm House Parterre) comprised a rectangular terrace cut with 27 symmetrically arranged beds, defined with large urns. Box borders and stone curbs edged the beds, which he planted with 'one kind of plant for the sake of colour'.
About Kew's tulip trees
Kew’s oldest tulip tree dates back to the 1770s and was possibly planted when Charles Bridgeman landscaped Queen Caroline’s Richmond Estate (now the western side of Kew Gardens).
On 16 March 1914, a storm felled a magnificent specimen in the Rhododendron Dell. At more than 23 m tall, it was planted shortly after George III came to the throne and had been one of the largest in the country.
The Plants + People exhibition is closed until October 2016, while we install an exciting new café and exhibition.