Wildflower meadow brings a breath of fresh air to TW9
Just outside Elizabeth Gate, the wildflower meadow is looking stunning in the summer sun.
21 Jun 2010
Wildflower meadow outside Elizabeth Gate
A wildflower meadow is quietly creating a stir in the oval outside Elizabeth Gate on Kew Green. This year it is looking even better than last year, filled with poppies, cornflower, corn camomile, ox-eye daisies and corn cockles, amongst others.
Stewart Henchie, head of Hardy Display, and his team first prepared the ground in summer 2008, then annually sow a mix of wildflowers. These are interspersed with plugs of foxgloves and wild teasel with hawkweed and subterranean clover which were previously in the turf, all combining to create a dazzling display.
A breath of fresh air in TW9.
What's on at Kew Gardens
- View our events calendar to find out what's coming up at Kew
- More visit information - ticket prices, opening times and how to get here
- Explore Kew Gardens and discover new places and walking routes
Share your pictures with Kew...
- Join Your Kew on Flickr and share your favourite photos of Kew Gardens and Wakehurst Place.
- Get involved in Kew's People's Arboretum on Flickr and post pictures of your favourite trees - wherever they live in the world!
- Become a Fan of Kew on Facebook and share your pictures with our network of friends.
Browse Kew News
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew
- around the world
- the UK
- at risk
- ground breaking
- needs help
- english heritage
- Kew overseas
- verge of extinction
- wet tropics
- gifts that help
- South East Asia
- of use
- hot spot
- english garden
Lotus Flower Reflected
Lotus Flower Cropped
Big Stone Vase Sculpture, Snowy Royal Botanic Gardens, KEW @ 19 January 2013 (Part 1 of 4)
byKam Hong Leung 12
Big Stone Vase Sculpture, Snowy Royal Botanic Gardens, KEW @ 19 January 2013 (Part 3 of 4)
byKam Hong Leung 12
We invite photographers to capture the sights at Kew and Wakehurst. These images are a selection of images submitted by photographers from around the world. We hope you enjoy them. You can see more on Flickr.
Get updates from Kew on Twitter
Unable to parse the data in the RSS file.