Key Stage 2 programme - Get creative workshop and themed day
In this session, primary school students take part in activities designed around a creative theme. The get creative workshop is part of a half day or full day visit that is tailored to suit the needs of your group and planned in detail prior to the visit.
Artwork using natural materials.
Students participate in creative activities including ephemeral art, charcoal drawing, creating fantastic plants, storm in the rainforest, environmental games, creating poems, tree mythologies and storytelling.
- Length: Typical workshop - 45 minutes | Themed day - includes 3 sessions designed around a creative theme.
- Group size: 30 students (maximum).
- Minimum supervision required: 1 adult per 8 students.
- Programme cost: Part of a full day visit - fee starts at £180 | Part of a half day visit - fee starts at £130 | See our detailed pricing plan for more information.
School visits at Wakehurst support and enhance the curriculum offered in schools. We aim to give students opportunities that are difficult or impossible to create in the school environment.
As teachers ourselves, we design our sessions to match the learning outcomes in the National Curriculum. At the moment, the new government has withdrawn the changes planned for 2010/11 and will be producing new curriculum guidelines. Once they have done that, we will re-visit the learning outcomes for our sessions.
The learning outcomes shown apply to the curriculum as it is at this time. Please note that all our sessions have a cross-curricular approach and are tailored to suit the educational needs of your group. Outcomes will vary according to the activity and the themes chosen. This session offers students the opportunity to learn to:
- be creative using natural materials as an inspiration.
- other outcomes will vary according to the activity and theme chosen.
Links with QCA/DfE schemes of work
National Curriculum Art
- Investigating and making.
- Unit 5A:Objects and meanings.
A typical day at Wakehurst is made up of three activities of approximately 45 minutes each, two in the morning and one after lunch. Our 'get creative' programme is also available as a full day designed around a theme.
Once you've selected the combination of workshops and trails for your group, you can make a school booking to visit Wakehurst by filling in our online form.
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew
Haller’s anemone is insulated with dense hairs, so it can grow even in freezing temperatures.