AS/A2 level programme - Taxonomy: classification and nomenclature (Biology)
Taxonomy can be a challenging topic to teach. Bring your class to Wakehurst where we can deliver your taxonomy learning outcomes in an engaging and practical way using materials from our world famous Herbarium.
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) and its Herbarium specimen
The students learn about the need for classification and how it is achieved. The processes of taxonomy and naming are investigated using materials from our world famous Herbarium.
- Length: Typical workshop is 1h 30min - 2h.
- Group size: 20 students.
- Minimum supervision required: one adult per ten students.
- Programme cost: Part of a full day visit - fee starts at £180 | Part of a half day visit - fee starts at £130 | See our detailed pricing plan for more information.
Choose to combine this workshop with another and make it a really useful day covering several aspects of your syllabus. Browse our programmes.
School visits at Wakehurst support and enhance the curriculum offered in schools and colleges. We aim to give students opportunities that are difficult or impossible to create in the school or college environment.
As teachers ourselves, we design our sessions to match the learning outcomes in the National Curriculum.
The learning outcomes shown apply to the curriculum as it is at this time. Please note that all our sessions have a cross curricular approach and are tailored to suit the educational needs of your group. This session offers students the opportunity to:
- understand the needs and processes of classification and the hierarchies involved in taxonomy.
- use observation skills to produce a data matrix and a dichotomous key.
- understand the importance of the binomial system.
- consider the role of taxonomy in the conservation of threatened species.
A typical day at Wakehurst is made up of two activities of approximately 1.5 - 2 hours each, one in the morning and one after lunch. We also offer a number of activity days, designed around a theme. Once you've selected a combination of activities your group, you can make a school booking to visit Wakehurst by filling in our online form.