AS/A2 level programme - DNA Profiling workshop (Biology)
In this session, AS/A2 level students explore the application of DNA fingerprinting in customs and excise investigation. The DNA Profiling workshop is part of a half day or full day visit that is tailored to suit the needs of your group and planned in detail prior to the visit.
Student looking at his DNA electrophoresis results.
Students treat samples of DNA amplified by PCR with restriction enzymes and separate these with gel electrophoresis.
- Length: Typical workshop - 1.5 - 2 hours.
- Group size: 20 students.
- Minimum supervision required: 1 adult per 10 students.
- Programme cost: Part of a full day visit - fee starts at £180 | Part of a half day visit - fee starts at £130 | See our detailed pricing plan for more information.
School visits at Wakehurst support and enhance the curriculum offered in schools and colleges. We aim to give students opportunities that are difficult or impossible to create in the school or college environment.
As teachers ourselves, we design our sessions to match the learning outcomes in the National Curriculum.
The learning outcomes shown apply to the curriculum as it is at this time. Please note that all our sessions have a cross curricular approach and are tailored to suit the educational needs of your group. This session offers students the opportunity to learn to:
- demonstrate the use of DNA profiling in the operation of CITES regulations for conservation
- treat sampling DNA, amplified by PCR with restriction enzymes and separate using gel electrophoresis.
Links with the AS/A2 level curriculum
The specification for exam boards vary. When you book a school visit at Wakehurst, let us know which exam board you are using and we will work with you to tailor the session for your students.
A typical day at Wakehurst is made up of two activities of approximately 1.5 - 2 hours each, one in the morning and one after lunch. We also offer a number of activity days, designed around a theme.
Once you've selected a combination of activities for your group, you can make a school booking to visit Wakehurst by filling in our online form.
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew
This small member of the mint family lives in and around waterfalls in West Africa.