AS/A2 programme – Conservation themed day
In this visit, AS/A2 students have the opportunity to experience in-situ and ex-situ conservation in action.
Millennium Seed Bank Building and Parterres
- Length: One day – 2 sessions of 2 hours
- Group size: 20 students (maximum)
- Minimum supervision required: 1 adult per 10 students
- Programme cost: Part of a full day programme, fee starts at £180. See our detailed pricing plan for more information
The day consists of visit to Kew's Millennium Seed Bank and a complementary activity from the list below.
- Practical session studying woodland management – coppicing.
- A guided walk around Wakehurst to see a variety of in and ex-situ projects in action.
- Biotechnology in the service of conservation – a practical exercise using DNA profiling as a tool to enforce the CITES regulations.
- Micropropogation - a session exploring the uses of micropropogation to conserve endangered species and a cloning practical.
- Seed practical workshop – a session using some of the protocols used by the Seed Bank for the drying and germination of seeds and the effect of aging on longevity.
- Classification – principles of taxonomy and naming of plants with practical activities.
School visits at Wakehurst support and enhance the curriculum offered in schools and colleges. We aim to give students opportunities that are difficult or impossible to create in the school or college environment.
As teachers ourselves, we design our sessions to match the learning outcomes in the National Curriculum.
For this option, the visit is tailored to meet the needs of your students. Learning outcomes will be agreed at a planning meeting prior to your visit.
Links with the AS/A2 level curriculum
The specification for exam boards vary. When you book a school visit at Wakehurst, let us know which exam board you are using and we will work with you to tailor the session for your students.
A typical day at Wakehurst is made up of two activities of approximately 1.5 - 2 hours each, one in the morning and one after lunch. We also offer a number of activity days, designed around a theme. Once you've selected a combination of activities your group, you can make a school booking to visit Wakehurst by filling in our online form.
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew
Latest news from Kew
22 May 2013
Kew has contributed to a groundbreaking report on the state of wildlife in the UK in time for International Day of Biological Diversity. It reveals that 60% of species studied have declined over recent decades.
18 Apr 2012
A floral spectacular is in bloom in front of the Orangery at Kew Gardens to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic Games.
13 Mar 2012
Filmed over the course of a year at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Kingdom of Plants 3D provides a fascinating new look at plant life using stunning 3D time-lapse filming techniques. Own your personal copy today following the DVD and Blu-ray release.