Key Stage 3 programme - Maths in the environment activity tour
In this session, secondary school students strengthen their basic numeracy skills while enjoying the outdoors. Estimation, measurement and simple calculation skills are reinforced as students use different techniques to find the height, width and age of trees.
Students use many methods to measure and estimate the size and age of trees.
Students practice basic numeracy skills while enjoying the outdoors. They practice various estimation and measurement techniques and calculate the height, age, and circumference of trees, amongst other parameters.
- Length: 45 minutes.
- Group size: 15 students.
- Minimum supervision required: 1 adult per 10 students.
- Programme cost: £25 per group of 15 students.
- Administration fee: £80.
School visits at Kew Gardens support and enhance the curriculum offered in schools. We aim to give students opportunities that are difficult or impossible to create in the school environment.
As teachers ourselves, we design our sessions to match the learning outcomes in the national curriculum. At the moment, the new government has withdrawn the changes planned for 2010/11 and will be producing new curriculum guidelines. Once they have done that, we will re-visit the learning outcomes for our sessions.
The learning outcomes shown apply to the curriculum as it is at this time. This session offers students the opportunity to learn to:
- recognise when exact measurements or calculations are appropriate and when estimation is appropriate in the context of a mathematical problem
- demonstrate estimation techniques in measurement and calculation
- carry out basic mathematical calculations (e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) in solving environmental problems
- recognise and plot relationships between two variables.
Links with the DfE Mathematics Framework Learning Objectives
1 Mathematical processes and applications
1.2 Analysing - use mathematical reasoning.
1.3 Analysing - use appropriate mathematical procedures.
1.4 Interpreting and evaluating.
2.1 Place value, ordering and rounding.
2.3 Fractions, decimals, percentages, ratio and proportion.
2.5 Mental calculation methods.
2.8 Checking results.
4 Geometry and measures
4.1 Geometrical reasoning.
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew
Callicarpa argentii is one of four new species of Callicarpa recently described from the island of Borneo.