The 15th Century
Royal connections were strengthened in 1414, when Henry V founded
the Carthusian Shene Charterhouse, along with the Benedictine Isleworth
and Brigittine Syon convents, to expiate the sins of his father,
Henry IV, for his part in the murder of Richard II.
The Carthusian monastery was located to the west of the Old Deer
Park. During the 15th century it received several additional grants
of land and so the Shene Charterhouse became the largest and richest
of its kind until Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries (1536-1540).
Henry V also built a new Shene Palace slightly to the south-east
of the old palace’s site. In around 1438 his son, Henry VI,
added a 50 acre park, the New Park of Shene, which stretched between
the palace and the Charterhouse. During the 1430s and 1440s Henry
VI extended and developed Shene Palace, particularly during 1444-1445
in preparation for his marriage to Margaret of Anjou.
That Shene Palace burnt down in 1497, to be completely rebuilt
by Henry VII. He also renamed it Richmond after his Yorkshire earldom.
At first, the new name applied only to the manor and the park, but
it was soon adopted by the village and parish. Richmond Palace was
a favourite residence of Henry VII, and he died there in 1509.
Back to: The