Early Medieval Times
It is very likely there was a settlement in Kew during the Roman
and Early Medieval period, if only to service traffic on the Brentford
Ford, but no remains of any settlement have yet been found. The
first documentary reference for a settlement in this area occurs
in 1313, and by 1483 the hamlet of Kew was of a taxable size.
However, the neighbouring area now known as Richmond was undergoing
intense change, primarily due to the development of a royal palace.
This in turn influenced the hamlet of Kew, especially in the 14th
and 15th century.
The royal developments of the 14th and 15th centuries at Richmond
took place mainly in the area of the Old Deer Park, outside the
Gardens, but they are relevant as they set the scene for the future
In the early Medieval period the parish of Richmond was originally
known as Shene. The first known documentary reference to Shene is
in the 951 AD will of Theodred, Bishop of London. By the 12th century,
Shene, which included both Richmond and Kew, was one of the four
chapelries dependant on the Minster at Kingston-on-Thames, and this
relationship continued until 1769. No-one is sure when modern Richmond
and Kew became separate parishes, but it was certainly prior to
the 15th century.
Find out more.....
- 14th Centuries
to: Timeline overview
On to: 16th
& 17th Centuries: Royal Influences