1970s and 80s - new glasshouses
A succession of short tenure Directors succeeded Dr. Taylor. John
Heslop-Harrison was his immediate successor in 1971 and he instigated
a variety of building projects during his five years in the position.
Most of these were seen through to completion during the next five
years, when JPM Brenan was Director. These included Aiton House;
a new Quarantine House (1979); the technologically advanced Alpine
House (1981); and the complete restoration of the Temperate House
After this, Professor EA Bell maintained the momentum with building
work beginning on the Princess of Wales Conservatory in 1984. A
sprawl of glasshouses was demolished to make way for the Conservatory,
including the T-Range. Earth thrown up from its radically advanced
construction was used to create another mound near the Broad Walk.
Professor Bell also oversaw the start of the landscaped Sir Joseph
Banks Centre for Economic Botany in 1985.
It was not always a question of new building, since 1984 was marked
with the closure of the Palm House as structurally unsafe. A complete
restoration of this structure was finally completed by the Property
Services Agency in 1990.
to: 1945-Today: Modern Kew