Kew into the 21st century
To enable better management of the Earth's environment by increasing
knowledge and understanding of the plant and fungal kingdoms - the
basis of life on earth.
This will be achieved by:
• developing our global reference collections and making
them more accessible to the greatest possible variety and number
• undertaking world-wide research into systematics, economic
and ethnobotany, biological interactions, conservation and horticulture;
• supporting the conservation and sustainable use of plant
resources in the UK and overseas;
• informing the wider public about our activities, through
the maintenance and development of world-class Gardens that provide
a window into our work;
• providing education, advice and information in various
forms to our stakeholders, and building the global capacity for
studying and conserving plant diversity through collaborative partnerships
and by training scientists from developing countries.
Behind Kew's Mission Statement runs a simple maxim;
"All life depends on plants"
to: 1945-Today: Modern Kew