During the period 1841-1885 two main areas of the Gardens were
still retained by the Crown, namely the Dutch House and its grounds;
and Queen Charlotte's Cottage and its grounds. Both areas were fenced off from the public, each with its own independent gate; Queen Elizabeth's Gate and King's Steps Gate respectively.
The most significant changes at this time took place in the grounds
of Queen Charlotte's Cottage. Where both Driver's 1840 map and Standidge's
1851 maps show the preceding open, deer park-style design of the
area, the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey shows it as having
been completely redesigned, with a Victorian park style of planting.
This new landscape consisted of sinuous blocks of trees, framing
broad rides and apparently containing a mixture of evergreen and
deciduous trees. Interspersed between them were isolated specimens.
The rhododendrons to the east of the Cottage were also planted in
1852, having been sent back from Sikkim, India by Joseph Hooker.
The remains of this Victorian garden are obvious in the modern
landscape, and the surviving exotics in this area point to a varied
Back to: 1841-1885:
The flowering of Kew