Richmond Gardens and Ormonde Lodge
In 1707 Richmond Lodge and its attached 58 acres of land was leased
by James Butler, the Duke of Ormonde. He partially rebuilt the house,
renaming it Ormonde Lodge, and incorporated William III's tree-lined
avenue to the Thames into a larger garden design.
Ormonde created a 'wilderness' out of the existing woodland by
cutting walks into it, including the impressive 'Diagonal Wilderness'.
He also rented further fields to the north, extending his holding
along the river on which he created his Riverside Terrace with its
summer house and probable canal.
Ormonde's landscape creations at Richmond were described in 1714
by John Macky as: "A perfect Trianon [the late 17th century
garden at Versailles], everything in it and about it answerable
to the grandeur and magnificence of its great master ... There is
a fine avenue that runs from the front of the house to the Town
of Richmond at a half mile distance one way and from the other front
to the Riverside, both inclosed with balustrades of iron. The gardens
are very spacious and well kept. There is a fine terrace towards
the River. But above all the woods cut out into walks with plenty
of birds singing in it, make it a most delicious habitation."
Following the unsuccessful Jacobean Rebellion of 1715, the Duke
of Ormonde (being one of their supporters) forfeited all his property,
including Ormonde Lodge, which was moved into by the Prince and
Princess of Wales.
to: 1700-1772: Two Royal Gardens