Turner’s Oak, Quercus x turneri
This semi-deciduous oak was raised in a nursery of Mr Turner in
Essex in the late 18th century, as a cross between Q. robur
and Q. ilex. It was planted in the original 5-acre arboretum
in 1798, where it stands today by the Princess of Wales Conservatory.
In the great hurricane, on 16 October 1987, the whole root plate
lifted and settled back in the ground. This appeared to rejuvenate
it, as it was showing signs of stress and decline due to compaction
of the root plate from the many people who take shelter under the
broad evergreen crown. This was one of the factors that initiated
the present day proactive decompaction programme for mature trees
in the arboretum.
to: Heritage Trees