Chestnut-leaved Oak, Quercus castaneifolia
The chestnut-leaved oak was introduced to Britain from the Caucasus
and Iran as seed in 1843. The specimen on the lawn behind the Water
Lily House was the first introduction, planted in 1846 during the
random planting of the new 45 acres. Today, at over 30 metres tall
and 30 metres spread, it the biggest, finest and unrivalled specimen
of its type in the world. It is the largest and fastest growing
tree in the arboretum and continues to grow at an alarming rate;
it is also a TROBI (Tree Register of the British Isles) champion.
In 1987, the year of the great hurricane when many trees surrounding
it on this lawn were blown over, the chestnut-leaved oak withstood
the forces of nature without the loss of a single limb and now stands
dominating the location.
to: Heritage Trees