The Temperate House
Once the largest plant house in the world and now the world's largest
surviving Victorian glass structure, the Temperate House is another
of Decimus Burton's designs. At 4,880 square metres, it is the largest
public glasshouse at Kew, twice the size of the Palm House.
Tender woody plants from the world's temperate regions have always
been a major part of the collection at Kew. In Victorian times,
the intensity of collecting meant that the Orangery and many other
houses quickly became vastly overcrowded and the need for a large
temperate greenhouse had become overwhelming.
In 1859, the Government allocated £10,000 to build the Temperate
House and directed Decimus Burton to prepare designs for this 'long-desiderated'
conservatory. However, in 1863, the Treasury called a halt to building
for budgetary reasons. However, the building was finally completed
Today, the planting has reverted to Decimus Burton's original geographical
scheme and includes many unusual crop plants from warmer climates.
depth: Temperate House: construction
depth: Temperate House: restorations
to: Pagoda Vista Zone
to: Evolution House