The Evolution House
Set at right angles to and at the centre point
of, the Temperate House, the Evolution House was the largest glasshouse erected
after the Temperate House.
It was previously known as the Australian House,
because it was a welcome gift from the Australian Government in 1952 to commemorate
Kew's Director Edward Salisbury's visit to Australia in 1949.
It is significant
in that it was
the first example of a prefabricated aluminium alloy building
at Kew. Built specifically to house antipodean flora, it was converted in 1994
to house an interactive exhibition showing the evolution of plants.
Back to: Pagoda
On to: Marianne