In the Gardens
In the 1850s, Victorian plant hunters were bringing back ever more plant species from around the globe to Kew Gardens. As a result, Kew needed somewhere new to house its growing collection of plants. The director at the time, Sir William Hooker, commissioned architect Decimus Burton to begin work on a new glasshouse in 1859. The Temperate House was officially opened in 1863.