GrassBase - The Online World Grass Flora
W.D. Clayton, M.S. Vorontsova, K.T. Harman & H. Williamson
© Copyright The Board of Trustees, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Opening the database
Double click on the grasses.mdb file.
Click Next, and enter the menu system.
Viewing names with Forms
- Displays various lists, imitating the indexes of Floras and Revisions for comparison. Hybrids are ignored (unless commonly treated on a par with species).
- A full description of each accepted species is available through a hyperlink to the Kew website.
- Unidentified provides a list of taxa for which we currently have no information and we would be extremely grateful if you would take a look at this report and let us know any information you have. Please see How to make a contribution for details of how you can inform us of any changes.
- Hybrids provides a list of all hybrids names held within the database, their taxonomic status and the parent species if these are known. Accepted hybrids have Distribution recorded and this is accessible from this page. if known
- Finds synonyms of a given name. Homonyms of that name and accepted infrataxa are automatically included.
- Spelling is critical. If in doubt, use the drop–down list.
- As an intermediate step in sorting out genera, accepted status is sometimes given to unpublished names. They are ascribed to author FORSAN (= perhaps), and are no more than temporary expedients. Likewise the epithet nomnov.
- Basionym is used here to hold homotypic synonyms together. It is the earliest legitimate name when one is available, otherwise the choice is somewhat arbitrary.
- The Description field contains a hyperlink to the DELTA generated description hosted on the Kew Website.
- The Distribution button produces a report of the distribution data stored within the database for each accepted species
Outputting with Reports
Reports are designed for output (forms are better for screen viewing). A dialogue box offers the choice of immediate printing, or export to a file for intermediate processing.
- If you output to a file, be aware that the default filename can be overwritten by yourself or another user.
- Unfortunately a bug in Access makes a mess of the file format.
- Synonym Reports (without types) will accept a sequence of input names entered one at a time.
- Files generated by Lists Reports can be condensed by running TWOCOL from Grass Utils.
Most of the forms in the database are documented to some degree, just click on the help button to view the help forms.
Access For Dummies is a good introductory text to MS Access for further help.
Click the Close option. Do not close Access with forms or reports open, other than the main menu.