Theophilus Redwood with Professors Bentley & Attfield
- Theophilus Redwood, on right, with Professors Bentley and Attfield
- Theophilus Redwood (1806-1892) - One of the founding members of the Pharmaceutical Society, Theophilus Redwood started his career in Cardiff. He then moved to London where he was employed by John Bell, alongside John's son, Jacob Bell. He was appointed the first curator of the newly created museum at the Pharmaceutical Society in 1842, along with his other duties as Professor of Pharmacy at the Society's school, a sub-editor of the Pharmaceutical Journal and the head librarian of the Society's library. He lobbied colleagues, collectors and pharmaceutical firms to donate specimens to the fledgling museum.
In the first year, he was able to report 570 specimens; by 1843 he had 850 to form the core of the collection. Because of Redwood's many other responsibilities within the Society, he occasionally came under some criticism from the council for neglecting the routine maintenance of the museum collection. This resulted in the creation of a full time curatorial position for the rapidly increasing collection in 1868.
Redwood's main interests lay in the study of chemistry, so he was also made director of the chemistry laboratory when it was opened in 1844. Along with John Attfield and Robert Bentley he was the joint editor of the 1867 edition of the British Pharmacopoeia. His dedication and contribution to the formation and development of the Pharmaceutical Society was commemorated by his colleagues in the creation of the Redwood Scholarship following his death.