Organisational structure, Staff and Heads of Department
Staff level is currently around 800, plus a large emeritus group of honorary research fellows and associates, students and other associated scientists. The staff have a diverse range of expertise, operational and management skills. Some 60% are specialist plant and fungal scientists and botanical horticulturists.
In addition we have the capacity for providing education, training and advice on conservation and sustainable use of plants and fungi, and expertise on the maintenance of historical landscapes and buildings.
- Director: Richard Deverell
- Business and Corporate Services
- Conservation, Living Collections & Estates
- Foundation and Friends of RGB Kew
- Herbarium, Library, Art and Archives
- Jodrell Laboratory
- Public Engagement and Learning
Business and Corporate Services
- Director, Business and Corporate Services: Jill McLaughlin
Legal and Governance
Looks after legal and contractual issues, and the procedures which ensure the smooth operation of the governing bodies of the organisation.
- Head of Legal and Governance: Diane Scott
Maintains all the required statutory accounting records and provides management accounts and financial information to the other departments as necessary, and provides the sound basis for financial planning.
- Head of Finance: Peter Smith
Responsible for personnel management, training and development, and handles staff pay and conditions of service.
- Head of Human Resources: Elizabeth Smith
- Chief Information Officer: David Ivell
RBG Kew Enterprises
The Enterprises company manages operations which are primarily commercial. It covenants its profits to Kew, an arrangement envisaged within the National Heritage Act.
- Head of Commercial Activities: Jonathan Marks
Kew Innovation Unit
- Director of Kew Innovation Unit: Monique Simmonds
Conservation, Living Collections and Estates
- Director, Conservation, Living Collections & Estates: Professor Tim Entwisle
Seed Conservation (Millennium Seed Bank)
Seed Conservation is home to the Millennium Seed Bank Partnership which aims to facilitate the conservation of 10% of the world's flowering plants as seed by 2010. In addition to their seed banking activity, department staff are involved in various research and technology projects on seed storage, germination and diagnostics.
- Head of Seed Conservation: Dr Paul Smith
Horticulture and Public Experience
Curates the collection of living plants and provides integrated education and interpretation based on this world-leading resource. The Department supports the organisation's science, conservation and visitor programmes. The living collections are housed within the historical landscapes and buildings at Kew and Wakehurst Place.
- Head of Arboretum and Horticultural Services: Tony Kirkham
- Head of Great Glasshouses and Training: Greg Redwood
- Head of Hardy Display: Richard Wilford (covering for Kath Smith)
- Head of Wakehurst Place: Andy Jackson
Provides all the services necessary to plan, maintain and improve a complex and demanding estate, which includes 42 listed buildings, and supervises the work undertaken by contractors.
- Head of Estates: David Holroyd
The Conventions and Policies Team (CAPS)
- Head of CAPS: Noel McGough
The Foundation and Friends of RBG Kew
The Foundation and Friends has the objective of raising funds for Kew from various sources including corporate donors and sponsors. It also manages Kew's Friends membership scheme.
- Director of Development, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew: Michael Murphy
Herbarium, Library, Art and Archives
Conducts research on plant resource inventories, produces manuals for identifying the plants concerned, and works with the other science departments to prepare classifications capable of predicting the likely distribution of useful properties and evolutionary relationships.
- Acting Keeper (Director) of the Herbarium, Library, Art and Archives: Dr Dave Simpson
- Assistant Keeper and Head of Library, Art and Archives: Christopher Mills
- Acting Assistant Keeper and Head of Systematics: Dr Bill Baker
- Assistant Keeper and Head of Biodiversity, Information and Conventions: Dr Alan Paton
- Assistant Keeper and Head of Regional Teams and Curation: Dr Rogier de Kok
Undertakes pure and applied research on anatomy, biochemistry, cytogenetics, molecular systematics, biosystematics, plant physiology and mycology.
- Keeper of the Jodrell Laboratory: Professor Mark Chase FRS
- Deputy Keeper of the Jodrell Laboratory: Professor Monique Simmonds
- Head Of Science Policy Professor Simon Owens
Public Engagement and Learning
- Director, Public Engagement and Learning: Professor Angela McFarlane
Formulates and implements our policy on marketing, promotion, events, information and enquiries, press and public relations.
- Head of Public Relations: Anna Quenby
Content and Learning
- Head of Media Resources and Publishing: Gina Fullerlove
- Head of Schools and Families Programme: Christine Newton
The Bentham-Moxon Trust was set up to provide financial support for botanical collections and research that further the work of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Keep up to date with events and news from Kew