Website Links Policy
Asking Kew to link to you
Before you email the Webmaster requesting a link-swap, please note that we prefer to include links with organisations whose aims and activities are similar to our own, for example:
- other botanic gardens, arboreta, or plant collections;
- our partners and collaborators on research projects;
- non-commercial organisations engaged in promoting or researching topics in which we have similar research interests.
We do not link to the websites of commercial organisations, such as seed or plant catalogues, garden centres, and so on, unless we have a commercial relationship with that company. We do not accept advertising on the site, nor do we charge a fee for including a link on our website. We do not link to websites, however enthusiastic they may be, which carry photographs of our amenity, whether these sites are commercial or otherwise.
We accept graphical links (i.e. logos) only under special circumstances, and we insist that these are supplied by their owners in a pre-agreed size, weight and format, with written permission for their use.
If we accept your request, your link will appear on a page containing information or other material of relevance to the content of your site, so that it is of more interest to the end user. For example, if your website consists of a database of seed information, we'd include a link to your site somewhere on the seed area of ours.
Making a link to us
Please observe Netiquette and ask us before you include a link to us on your site. We don't often refuse, as long as the following conditions are met:
- portals for visitor/tourist information - because we derive a large part of our revenue from our visitors, we usually agree to be listed on these sites, but the link is often only one-way.
- plant information - as an educational organisation we encourage appropriate links into our scientific and horticultural pages and databases.
- the presence of a link on any commercial site must not imply endorsement by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew of any product or service, unless this is subject to a formal agreement.
Finally, when making a link to us you may not use the royal crest: there are special rules governing its use. A logo can be made available for use as a graphical link.
If you want to know more, Contact Web Team