Job title: Head of Mycology
ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY: Internal/External
HOURS OF WORK: Full time, 36 hours per week
JOB STATUS: Permanent
SALARY PER ANNUM: £42,115 - £51,107
DIRECTORATE: Herbarium, Library, Art & Archives
LOCATION: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Reporting to the Director (Keeper) of the Herbarium, Library, Art and Archives this post is part of the HLAA Leadership Team and is specifically responsible for managing the Mycology Section within the HLAA Directorate. Working in close collaboration with other science departments and sections this role will provide strategic and operational leadership to enhance and promote the international status, output and reputation of mycological research at RBG Kew, consistent with Kew’s corporate vision. .
A concise and clear communicator, you will have a proven ability to lead and influence a small to medium-sized science team, initiate effective cross-departmental working, and to negotiate and influence at all levels.
The successful candidate will have:
- a PhD and have completed significant post-doctoral research in mycology;
- taxonomic expertise, ideally in Agaricomycetes with an emphasis on tropical mushrooms;
- extensive fieldwork experience, ideally in tropical regions, including Africa/Madagascar and southeast Asia;
- a strong publication record in fungal taxonomy, molecular phylogenetics, and coevolution of fungi with plants and animals;
- a scientific reputation of international standard in mycology;
- experience in leading and managing a science team to deliver required objectives and outputs;
- a proven track record in securing external funding for research and the management of projects arising from such funding;
- experience of managing budgets.
- some experience of curating/managing a collection of dried fungi.
For full details of the job purpose, accountabilities and essential education, skills and experience for this role please view the job description and person specification document.
CLOSING DATE: 12 July 2013
INTERVIEW DATE: TBC
How To Apply
1. Download and read the Job Profile.
2. Complete an Application Form and an Equality and Diversity Form.
3. Return your completed Application Form and Equality and Diversity Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that we do not accept applications by post. If you have a disability or a special need that requires support please contact us on 020 8332 3135.
Guidance for applicants (Word)
We will only contact those candidates selected for interview. Therefore if you have not heard from us within 3 weeks of the closing date, you should presume that you will not be called for interview. Unfortunately we are unable to provide feedback on your application if you are not selected for an interview.
If you have any general queries please do not hesitate to call the recruitment team on 020 8332 3135.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.